18 March 2008

unusually weak health

Some germ or bacteria or virus has befallen me to never leave me again. Or at least it feels this way, as I've been on sick leave on and off for the last three weeks. I have spent the last nights waking every half hour, feverishly and feebly wandering to the bathroom to cool my face and tonsils down and ease the pain, getting a little sleep before being woken up again by the pain and fever. I could not speak for two days - I could hardly open my mouth (so that my tongue now has an imprint of my teeth!) and my vocal cords could hardly be moved.

I even had some form of delirium, waking at five in the morning and thinking I HAD to manage to drink because otherwise the freedom of Iran and/or the fate of the ring would be endangered (I watched Persepolis recently, and an 80s animated version of Lord of the Rings while sick). I also thought the fact that Johannes wasn't awake at 8 this morning would compromise everything. Everything? In any case we would be too late for the Hannah Arendt translation.

Fever is one big damn nuisance. And not being able to talk, another. And constant pain, a third one. And not being able to cuddle up for comfort because I'm contagious, a fourth. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't eat for two days, and hardly drink for one. My voice has started coming back today but remains feeble, the fever has gone down, but the pain is still there, as are the inability to sleep and the need for diversion of any kind (as this post testifies). I managed to eat a little, but I definitely don't look my best after three days of liquid intake.

But it will come to an end soon. Or so we hope.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home