09 December 2007

Lefties are cows

Oh the anger, the shock, the nervousness, the tears, the violence... Yesterday was a relatively large radical left demonstration in the centre of Berlin to protest against the constant threatening of collective left wing projects that are forced to move out and all put under pressure - such as unannounced and random forced police intrusions at early hours of the day with metal saws to open the doors.

I went with [J]. We immediately saw other clowns and people we knew, so that our random affinity group became too large to be handy. We split up and [J], [K] and [E] and I stayed together. MASSIVE numbers of police all in riot gear cordoned up the demonstration, categorising people in in- and outsiders, demonstrators and non demonstrators, violently pushing anyone in their path. Violently.
I got pushed several times. And asked "excuse me sir, why did you push me that way?" and got pushed some more. I see no difference between these cops and the brutish jocks we get in every school. Monosyllabic discursive abilities, strong muscles. Push-and-grunt.
When I say push, I mean that I was made to stumble. That I had to jump to make sure I wouldn't fall.

I told my group I didn't want to accept being treated like cattle, parked up, cordoned off, pushed. That I wanted to be free and constantly go in and out of police lines. And they found it was a good idea, so we started being free people. And the police was confused.
"Are you taking part in the gathering?," one aggressively asked me.
"I don't know, I haven't made up my mind yet," I replied. (another policeman had previously told me as I asked him what he was demonstrating for, that the green block wasn't taking part in the "opinion making process", as he formally described the demonstration. So I decided to take his words seriously and consider the whole demonstration as a place where I could theoretically make up my mind on whether or not I sympathised with the demonstrators' calls...)

He looked at me and must have decided that I looked much too lefty to be outside the cordon. He tried to push me back into the moving prison cell. I refused.
"Are you trying to force me to take part in the gathering?" I inquired. He was going to push me some more but got called by his colleague up ahead as they had been ordered to move forward.
Several other cops grunted at us "BACK IN! Back in!" Are we dogs? Are we free people? Is it normal, in a modern parliamentary state, to be treated that way?

Because of our constant moving in and out (sometimes using diversion), we ended up between the fronts, but free. The demonstration got canceled, police cordoned up some 600 people and brutally fished out two men at random. I ran after them as they were forced to walk, their heads squeezed under a policeman's arm, to another corner. I was already trembling because the violence had been high, the pressure constant. We didn't have the guys' names, we couldn't call the lawyers to warn them. I was too weak to go through the police line and go to the guys and talk with them while they were being squashed against a shop window and immobilised. [J] offered to go. He immediately got stopped. Which created a hole in the police line right in front of me. I walked through and managed to talk with the prisoners and call the lawyers for them.
Later, a woman got brutally fished out of the mass - I followed in the same way and got pushed in the breast so violently I filled up with anger. It was good to have friends. I was in a state of shock, even this morning. This is what 'democracy' looks like...

1 Comments

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful. You can not reason with fascists. You can't use reasoned arguments with police thugs. Be careful. I don't want you to become a Rachel Correy, my beloved dotter. And yet I admire and understand what you are doing.
Love you
D

11:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home