12 January 2007

"And what would YOU like to do later?"

Today in my colloquium one of our profs gave us a small presentation of the options chosen by my institute's graduates to finance their living. The list of sectors and jobs compared numbers put together in 1994 with a new study presently under work. It contained a few surprises, 4 politologues being listed as taxi drivers in 1994 while one was a Life Artist and another a vicar. Still, for the most part, all was expected: a large part go into research and remain in academia, a large part work in journalism, and the rest is scattered between political parties, trade unions, political education, industry and lobbying.
After we'd gone through this list, the professor giving the presentation asked us what ideas we had for our career. I looked at my neighbour anxiously and whispered "but I don't want a career!". She laughed. As my turn came, I quickly said that I didn't want to have a job and was thus passing over my turn to my neighbour. The other students looked at me with a mixture of confusion and amusement.

Labels: ,

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home