01 January 2007

Looking down on freedom

But what exactly would you like to do?, Grandmama asked, insisting on the would.
I don't understand why it is so difficult to frame the desire to live according to one's rhythm and to create as much freedom for one's self in a way that doesn't immediately get associated with the negatively connotated "Drop Out". The familiar status provided by a salary (regardless of the level of happiness the job and/or money provide) will continue to seem much more acceptable and comprehensible to her. Not that she expressed any disaproval of my description of the community that I find so inspiring - she actually fell asleep. B. asked a few questions and, being a lone antisocial at heart, found the aspects touching upon independance and self-sufficiency appealing. The whole "community" aspect, less, I guess.
Obviously, knowing only people who follow the path of job-founding family-get house has an influence on the ability to imagine other forms of life styles. Most of all, on the ability to believe that these can actually be successful. "Everybody does it that way. If there were other ways, we'd know about it." It's a normal reaction, and I shouldn't be too surprised about it, because I had similar thoughts before I actually experienced and saw what alternatives could be.
I think a good documentary on other forms of life organisation would be in order. We need some manipulation of feelings a la Rorty...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home