05 January 2007

Swarms of immigrants

Yesterday evening I spent a little while searching the internet to find documents from organisations who combat the ramping anti-immigrant sentiments that seem to plague Britain. I wasn't sure whether I should try to find hints and tips on how to discuss these sentiments with a somewhat racist person who can actually discuss them; or simply find some documents that would bring a bit of light into the darkness of such ideas as "The National Health Service spends all our money on immigrants who don't even pay into the system".
As I couldn't find any pedagogical help, I eventually went for the second option. There's tonnes out there, and it shows that Britain really has a deep deep misperception problem when it comes to the category "Immigrants". "Immigrants" is basically used as a synonym for "asylum-seekers" which itself is often used a synonym for "Illegal immigrants". However, it seems to only include people who are visibly "different" - of darker skin, non west-Europeans. The Australians, for instance, who often overstay their visa and remain in the country undocumented for a while, are never talked about as "Illegal Immigrants".
In any case, the documents I first found were interesting articles but I guess that Grandmama would not approve of the sources - a little too revolutionary and fourth International for her taste, I suspected. Eventually I found two nice texts: one is a leaflet provided by the UK National Assembly Against Racism and deconstructing the myths linked to asylum seekers (pdf); the other is an essay written by Kenan Malik, myths of the stranger at the gate. It got published in the Times in 2005, which seems like an acceptable enough reference, and focuses more on immigrants in general. So I printed those two off and gave them to her. She promised she would read them seriously and accepted the fact that I wanted her to put her ideas into question. She seemed to react positively especially to the NAAR leaflet that has a clear, easily readable presentation.
Couldn't do that with my French grandmother... so there's hope.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home