06 May 2007

election angst

I went off to the embassy early this afternoon. No queues this time, probably in part because the embassy people had realised that their system last time with three queues was insufficient - this time there were eight embassy functionaries to check our passports instead of three. The embassy was swarming with french people clustered in communicative groups enjoying cafes in the expensive exclusive embassy café in the inner garden. I caught bits of conversations as I moved straight towards my Bureau de Vote "... et il a gagné des points après le euh le debat euh..." nod nod ".... ah oui et puis ségolène...". The room was smaller than last time - of course a much smaller table was necessary to present the bulletins. I picked up a Sego, accidently two actually, but the man insisted I take a sarko as well. I went off to stick my sego in the envelope, had my passport checked again, my name loudly mispronounced, the other man shouted back I was allowed to vote, I slid the envelope in the box, was shouted "VOTED" at, and signed.
Outside the embassy, french people stood handing out flyers for their own little french-in-berlin projects - a special newspaper, another guy selling wine. And there I was, back on Pariser Platz, and suddenly I thought - wait - didn't I pick up two segolene at first? Had I put the other one back? Hadn't I accidently stuck two segolene in the envelope? That would make my vote invalid. I still haven't really gotten rid of my doubts. Terrible feeling.
Saw J. yesterday evening at the McPlanet social event, who said he'd just found out his mum would be voting sarkozy. He's sent her loads of Le Monde articles in the hope that she would change her mind at the last minute...
Tonight, will look at the results coming out in a bar in trendy P'berg with L. He's still forcing himself to believe "she" can win.
Now that I possibly invalidated my own Super Vote, I really can't see it happen. It will be a sad evening.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home