27 February 2007

regional economy

Last night I went to a meeting of people who are organised in Food-Coops and want to strengthen ties to regional agricultural producers. The regionality aspect being my main motivation for being interested in a food-coop in the first place, I was eager to go. I'd met the people at a Food-Coop information evening they'd organised in January.
The meeting was smaller than I expected - three people from three different FCs, another guy who had come to the information evening in January, and me. We met at one of the FC people's place, a large, comfortable family flat 20 minutes away from my place on foot. (I still managed to be late. But, and unlike common misconceptions about the Germans, being late is expected, at least in academic circles. Any time for a meeting is instinctively understood as meaning "c.t.", i.e "with time", so fifteen minutes later than indicated - the "academic quarter". Seminars for instance don't ever start at 10 but at 10.15. )
I was a bit nervous to go, as I didn't really have any clear conception of how the regional agricultural economy worked in the first place, and thus how it could be strengthened. It's always a difficult position to have - the interested but ignorant person. Surprisingly and fortunately, everything went a lot smoother than expected.
First off, it became very clear that my expectations and conceptions were very similar to those of the FC people. The other non-FC man however, and although he monopolised the discussion way too much at the beginning, quickly realised that his vision didn't fit in - much too commercial and "consumer" oriented, rather than interested in the human, solidary and direct ties linking us - and not any old anonymous consumer - with the producers.
It became so comfortable and natural for me to be there, that eventually one of the FC guys invited me to join his FC located near my place. Of course I originally didn't want to join a Food Coop but rather found a new one, but seeing as I'll be away for four months, I came to the conclusion that I should wait until I'm back to start with this project. So I was pleased to get the invitation, especially as one can only become a member of this particular FC via an existing member.
As soon as I start working in the coop, I will have a much better understanding of the potential logistical problems that have to be considered when trying to organise more direct relations with farmers. I'm looking forward to it all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home