24 January 2007

compulsive book buying

I'm starting to understand Mister K's obsession with buying books. I've bought more books or thought more about buying books this semester than in any other semester - although compared to others it's still nothing. In any case, I don't seem to be satisfied anymore with the act of borrowing a book from the library. I want to have the author, his ideas, the argumentation, the wealth of inspiring sentences with me, there, available.
Yesterday evening in the U-Bahn Lotte found me on the platform. I can use her name because I'm not even sure I remember it correctly. We had a class together two or three years ago, development theory, and she was one of the leading speakers and arguers in this course. She could juggle with the ideas of several philosophers I hadn't read and for the most part still haven't read and make clear, precise and complex arguments. I was impressed. I often am.
In any case, since then I had seen her only once in the U-Bahn with another friendly student I know, and we'd chatted a bit. I don't have any problems now with chatting with people who are far more advanced than I am in their reading and thinking. I've made enough progress in the past months. And now I feel much more communicative when I know I share some general critical left consensus with someone.
In any case, we started chatting about democracy, emancipation, left wingness, the relevance or not of political structures, and she said I should definitely read Holloway's Change the World without taking power. I've already read articles of his and his name kept coming up in promising contexts. So I decided now was the time to actually get it.
And to kill two flies, I also wanted to step into the Schwarze Risse bookshop which I'd never gone to. I usually go to Oh21, another Indie bookshop in Kreuzberg, but I often feel that their selection of books, though interesting, is too limited. Schwarze Risse is located at the back of a double courtyard that is home to all sorts of left wing projects, including an indy bar and the offices of organisations for migrants, women, queers etc. The bookshop wasn't disappointing - it reminded me of the one Mister K and I spent hours in in Vienna on the central square - and I spent about a half hour looking through some of their sections. I didn't find anything on utopia but took the Holloway with me.
Need to build up a new set of shelves somewhere.

Labels:

1 Comments

Blogger Jack Muddle said...

whatever happened to Mr. Big and Important?

12:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home