23 May 2007

AHEAD

more meetings, more networking, constantly exchanging informations on the camps, the infrastructure available up in hooligendam for the g8, training, gathering material, who's a sleeping bag, a tent, what else do we need, how do we get there, where do we want to stay, with whom... everything revolves around the first week of june, it seems ridiculous to even look beyond that on the calendar, there is no energy for anything else. first week of june, first week of june.

My friend [A] came over last weekend. That's when I realised how difficult it was to discuss what was going in my life these days - every event, every meeting seems connected to key words, the jargon code that automatically develops within a "scene" - just like the european commission people constantly talk in code ("the second pillar of the CAP"...) - just like students use codes and abbreviations - it's shorter, we know others understand it - until we're faced with someone who comes from a totally different background, and all of a sudden, the practical language appears to be nothing but an exclusion tool that renders communication opaque and difficult. Oh well, poor [A]. It was good to see her again though, even though I'm a little sorry I could hardly talk about anything other than political activities.

I've basically lost track of time... woke up this morning thinking it was tuesday, though unsure about it. Every day is packed, my diary is entirely scribbled over with appointments and addresses and numbers... spent monday preparing for the meeting of part of my g8 group, then at the meeting, then at the autonomous seminar I and another group organise - we had a speaker who told us about the development of self-organised, autonomous projects in berlin from the 80s till now, was fascinating - then a beer with the seminar preparation group along the canal, enjoying the sudden arrival of summer and super-high temperatures... sleep...

Tuesday, wake up with this feeling of summer holiday, no work to go to this week, warmth pouring in from outside, and freedom to choose how to organise my day... spent way too much time on the computer typing protocols of various meetings and sending infos around - and eventually set off to get myself a sleeping bag and all the stuff I need for camping. All the time I'd felt "ohmygod i don't have a sleeping bag i need a sleeping bag i'll never know how to buy a sleeping bag i've never bought a sleeping bag i'll probably never even do it and then i'll be without a sleeping bag and it'll be a catastrophe" - but i calculated how much i could spend on the sleeping bag and went off to the camping store and got everything easy peasy. i don't know why i'd developped such a panic around the sleeping bag issue. Found the tent mum had given me in the cellar, with it also found useful pockets to hide personal documents under one's shirt and keep them safe. I tried building the tent in my room to see how big it is exactly and whether I could fit another person in it with me (as well as bags). Having the tent in the middle of my room added to the whole atmosphere of summer holiday somehow. the tent is tiny though, it will be "kuschelig" (cuddly) if I take somebody along. Then off I set for the food coop plenum - chaotic and tiring as ever, most people have no comfortable plenum culture - and left early to pedal over to a friend's who had organised a wide g8-networking meeting at his place. 20 to 25 people there, discussing their plans and trying to figure out whether we could all camp together and build a friendly cluster. The plenum culture was much more comfortable - people raising their hands to signal they had something to say, keeping to the point, not mixing topics and not interrupting. Much better than the food coop people. back home, sleeping...

waking up, not knowing what day it is... tonight dinner with ex and [R], tomorrow brunch outside with friends from work, dinner with other friends, friday unclear, weekend spent creating a UFO with the clowns, monday free, tuesday + wednesday work, and thursday in a week, i'm leaving berlin... ONE flipping week left... need to sort out the papers in my room for the guy who's renting it while I'm away, make sure I don't leave anything private lying around... hectic hectic, lovely hectic.

1 Comments

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading this! That's my dot. What can I say? I wasn't at all politicised at your age (when I arrived in France ready to spawn you). Glad we did spawn you... Yes.

8:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home