19 May 2008

did it at last!

The day has come - I sent out the email officially and publicly announcing to my colleagues that I was leaving my work, why, and what I would do next. I spent a lot of time today at work rewriting the text, fiddling around, asking friends there for their opinion on whether it came across as aggressive. The text ended up way too long, and I was unsure whether to send it before or after the appointment with the personnel lady tomorrow morning. All in all, I was a bit scared what the reactions would be. But then I pressed "send", with sweaty hands and a nervous belly. It was out, I couldn't take it back.
Except it turned out not to have gone out at all, because I mistyped the address of the mailing list. So I had to go through the same process once again (do I really send it today? Sweaty hands, nervous belly etc), and sent it out again. This time, another technical problem ensured that it hadn't been distributed. I resolved this issue and without thinking about it anymore, sent it out a third time - this time for good.

And I've received heart warming responses from some people already - the most heart warming message of all being from the boss, who wishes that I keep a critical eye on the institute's work, and finished with "every path is good, when it is consciously chosen - and you seem to have thought a lot about your path". I feared a little that he would take my decision to quit personally - in a way attacking as I was the product of his life's work. And I really didn't want that.

I'm curious to see how the personnel manager will react tomorrow, seeing as she has less self-respect than the boss.
Walking home, I felt good about the fact that I'd at long last written and sent this email which had been in my thoughts for years now... A page is turning.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home