13 April 2007

democracy and responsibility

I still haven't come up with a decision for the first round of French presidential elections. Ten days left and I still don't know. Can I definitely take the decision following a "rational" process? I doubt it. On the contrary, it is fear that is giving me doubts. Rumors are getting more insistent that the probability for a second round with one eyed vs. two eyed evil is high. I rationally know though that these rumors are thrown around to get exactly this result: fear and a vote by default for royal. Is that what a supposedly democratic election is about? Letting fear guide my choice?

When I say I haven't come up with a decision, it isn't quite true of course. My first choice is and remains Olivier Besancenot. But let's say I vote for him. And then let's say royal doesn't make it to the second round. In which case, whatever happens, I would be unable to vote for any of the candidates on offer. So two-eyed evil would be president: This would leave me with the responsibility to go back to France - as paradoxical as it all is - to participate in the movements that will fight against the destruction of social protection.
But then, why not, I guess?

Labels: ,

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home