04 April 2006

Catechizing myself

Most of last week, I've been telling various people about my student's block and how I thought I'd just discovered and learned too many interesting theories in the last semester for my brain to be able to process, and how I needed a break, and how I probably shouldn't try to squeeze my final seminars into one semester after all. All the while, naturally, the other side of my brain was muttering "cause toujours, tu m'intéresses". Slowly though, ever so slowly, I have managed to convince myself. The beauties of self brainwashing.
I had originally decided to finish my studies in the summer of 2007 for numerous reasons with varying degrees of rationality:
  1. Summer 2007 is located, we expect, in the middle of the year 2007, i.e. a safe distance away from my 28th birthday in late December. Being done at 27 just sounds better to me.
  2. Graduating in the summer also means that once I'm through with all the exams, I can directly walk outside and enjoy summerly weather. Instant gratification. Assuming that Berlin's two or three days of summer take place right after the exams.
  3. I would be able to say I finished my studies in the official length while working part time and being a foreigner.
The potential advantages of taking a semester more include, but are probably not limited to:
  1. Giving my brain more time to digest and learn and organise all it's ingurgitating.
  2. Being able to take a break NOW instead of worrying about this paper I seem unable to write and jumping right back into the next stressful semester.
  3. Making a trip to Latin America with ASA in the summer right before I'd have to write my thesis so as to conduct field research.
  4. The winter would also potentially provide a more conducive weather for writing a thesis, as temptations to go out for walks and enjoy parks would tend towards null.
I'm still unsure of how I could label such a change of mind. I've always said "I'll try to finish by July 2007, and if it doesn't work, nevermind." when I meant "I'll finish by July 2007, and if it doesn't work, I'm a loser." I'm gradually trying to cover this change with positive names such as "Flexibility" and, hm, other names, but I'm still not convinced. Having half taken this decision does make me feel more relaxed though.

1 Comments

Blogger Jack Muddle said...

the fourth of April is weeks ago. you're not being a very diligent blogger.

...and you don't use enough four letter words.

10:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home